[BlueOnyx:18438] Re: Understanding inodes

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 28 20:16:16 -05 2015

Hi Colin,

> Most of my servers run 1G of inodes although with 5208R servers I have had to use 2G.
>
> Just setup my first 5209R and I had to use 3G inodes just to get it started with quota enabled – still has nothing on it.
> Is there a problem with this? When do I run out of indoors on the host?

For storage you need two things:

- Blocks
- Inodes

Say you want to save a file. Or the OS brings a file aboard (and the OS
itself has many files). You need at least one block and one inode for
each. Large files may need more than one block. How big the blocks are
depends on the storage medium and what the hardisk offers. But inodes
... that's the catch: You still need one for each file or folder. So you
have to assign sufficient of those.