[BlueOnyx:19936] New user question about spam

Jeff Newman jnewman67 at gmx.com
Tue Aug 2 21:54:23 -05 2016

I'm new to BlueOnyx, but not hosting servers - I've been running my own for
over 10 years now.  My current CP is no longer supported, but was VERY
solid, simple, and robust - so I'm in the market for a replacement.

I downloaded BlueOnyx and got a server up and running - have to say I'm
pretty happy so far with the minimal playing I've done.  The interface is
pretty straight forward, and things seem to be where they are expected to
be.  Haven't really tested it for speed and accessibility yet, but as my
needs are simple, it appears it will do nicely.

My one real complaint is integrated spam/virus filtering - this isn't really
an optional service any more, and I'm honestly surprised it's not integrated
by default.  My current server uses spamassassin, clamav, and postgrey, and
they are all free, but they aren't enabled or installed by default in
BlueOnyx.  I see there's a PKG I could purchase to get it (or something
simlar) integrated, but I have mixed feelings about that (if free works...).

A smaller complaint is the lack of an integrated webmail access software.
Again, there's a PKG that I could buy, but again, there are free softwares
that do it well - why aren't they integrated by default?  Again, the days
where these were "frills" are long gone, so why not include them?

Can someone enlighten me on the reasons behind this approach?  I found a
couple of references external to BlueOnyx where people had posted
integration methods (haven't tried them yet) - doesn't seem like that should
really be necessary with any modern control panel (free or not).

Thanks.

Jeff Newman