[BlueOnyx:19139] Re: Guidlines for firewall on CentOS7

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Wed Feb 17 12:09:42 -05 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Jim Scott wrote:

> The 5209 on CentOS 7 is a new OS for me and in the past I remember
> having to do a number of things to get iptables setup so that they would
> persist

Most traditional RedHat uses a file in /etc/sysconfig to specifly such
things.  In particular, iptables-config has:

# Save current firewall rules on stop.
#   Value: yes|no,  default: no
# Saves all firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables if firewall gets
stopped
# (e.g. on system shutdown).
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

# Save current firewall rules on restart.
#   Value: yes|no,  default: no
# Saves all firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables if firewall gets
# restarted.
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="yes"

There's a pile of other options in the file as well.

> What is the best way to create firewall rules on the new OS and keep
> them persisted?

By playing with these, you can make basic rules, then just restart to save
them.  I typically make a backup to the startup file just in case it gets
lost.

--
=^_^=  Tigerwolf