[BlueOnyx:19143] Re: Solarspeed Email (off topic)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Feb 18 08:45:13 -05 2016

Hi Colin,

On 2/18/2016 7:24 AM, Colin Jack wrote:

> Generating server: EXCHANGE.mainline.local
> Receiving server: solarspeed.net (208.77.221.199)
>
> mstauber at solarspeed.net
> Remote Server at solarspeed.net (208.77.221.199) returned '400 4.4.7 Message delayed'
> 18/02/2016 13:09:44 - Remote Server at solarspeed.net (208.77.221.199) returned '441 4.4.1 Error encountered while communicating with primary target IP address: "Failed to connect. Winsock error code: 10060, Win32 error code: 10060." Attempted failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts. The last endpoint attempted was 208.77.221.199:25'

Well there are many things that it could be, and I might suggest
starting with some diagnostics on your system.

I see that the Exchange server you're using doesn't report a proper
hostname.   Although that may be simply cosmetic, it's something that as
a sysadmin would drive me up a wall.   So... that could be fixed.

There's a DNS oddity in that message in that your Exchange server says
"Remote Server at solarspeed.net (208.77.221.199)"... but the MX record
is mail.solarspeed.net.   Both A records point to the same destination
IP, so that's not the cause of your issue, but again, something odd that
may warrant a look.

Finally, the 400 error is indicating a DELAY, most likely due to
greylisting on the solarspeed.net server.  Why your Exchange server
would treat that as an outright rejection is a cause for investigation
on the Exchange system.   You may find that your queue timeout is too
short.  Set for 5-minute retries and at least a 1-hour timeout (though
I'd recommend longer) to accommodate proper greylisting - not to mention
other legitimate delivery delays.

Why the 400 4.4.7 turns into 441 4.4.1 is a mystery to me.

Based simply on the information shared here, and understanding that I am
not by any stretch an Exchange admin (I'm far too handsome for that -
LOL!) I would recommend taking a good look at that Exchange server.
There's enough to suggest that something(s) may be a little off.

I hope that helps point in a direction.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services