[BlueOnyx:18911] Re: Openweb mail

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 4 12:57:33 -05 2016

Hi Richard,

> Question is openwebmail package not available for 5209R?

No, it's not and it won't be.

I looked at it, but OpenWebmail needs escalated privileges to run. Like
suid-perl (not available on EL7) or GCC wrappers with the SUID-bit set.

Likewise some of the required Perl modules are pretty ancient and not
all of them play nice.

I probably could  get it to run. But it simply makes no sense anymore.
OpenWebmail accesses the mbox directly (that's why it wants root-rights)
and it simply shouldn't need that to begin with. It could as well run as
unprivileged user and access the mailbox via POP3 or (even better) IMAP.

We're talking about something from the late 90's there and time (and
technology) has moved on. But OpenWebmail didn't. It's been EOL and
unmaintained for +10 years.

Hence I rather not burden us with maintaining this obsolete piece of
crap any further.

Please use RoundCube instead. It has it's own quirks, but it's still
actively maintained by its developers.