[BlueOnyx:18950] Re: memcached on Blueonyx

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 11 16:40:09 -05 2016

Hi Larry,

> Just started getting notices from shadowservers.org about several of
> my servers having "memcached" installed and running.  On checking,
> it appears this is a recent update on all my blueonyx servers.
>
>  I have disabled it as it pops up, but what is it and what is its purpose,
> and why is it installed wide open to the world?

The service "memchaced" is installed to speed up the GUI. It's an CCEd
extension that Hisao Shibuya has coded. But indeed: The service
"memcached" should actually only bind to IPv4 localhost. I just
published an updated set of base-memcache RPM's and published them to
the BlueOnyx YUM repositories.

Thank you for reporting this.