[BlueOnyx:19004] Re: New VPS on Aventurine

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jan 17 02:58:25 -05 2016

Hi Dan,

> I have installed a new 5802R VPS on an Aventurine box.   The problem is
> that when I go to the new VPS, I get the login prompt (user name &
> password) and not the setup wizard.

There is currently a problem with the latest OpenVZ kernel on
Aventurin{e} 6106R, which is this one:

]# uname -a
Linux XXXX 2.6.32-042stab113.11

VPS's with the "simfs" filesystem have no working disk quota if that
kernels is used on the master node. Without working disk quota in the
VPS the admin account won't get created on first VPS start of a fresh
VPS. And existing VPS's will have issues creating Vsites and Users. :-/

The last "good" kernel is 2.6.32-042stab112.15. Now the OpenVZ YUM
repository layout makes it a bit difficult to rollback kernels. But here
is what you can do until a better fix is out:

On the master node run this command:

yum install vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab112.15

That will install the "good" 2.6.32-042stab112.15 kernel out of the
"Aventurin" yum repository.

Then check /boot/grub/grub.conf. The 2.6.32-042stab112.15 should be the
first entry among the listed kernels.

And "default=0" should be set as one of the first lines somewhere below
the initial comments. If that is the case: Reboot the node.

After the reboot check again with "uname -a" to make sure that
2.6.32-042stab112.15 is now the active kernel. And then disk quota for
VPS's should work again correctly.

I posted about this issue on the OpenVZ mailing list yesterday and am
waiting for a fix. The problem seems to be a regression error in
fs/namespace.c:show_vfsmnt() where they changed "/dev/simfs" to simply
"simfs" - which doesn't work.