[BlueOnyx:19723] AV-Spam 6.2 on Blueonyx 5208

Maillists info at itsezy.com.au
Thu Jun 16 00:50:26 -05 2016

Hi all,

Late last Sunday evening, our machine CPU load increased until the machine was barely able to operate. Looking at the GUI did not show anything untoward. But turning off Spamassassin on the AV-SPAM GUI would let the machine slowly come back to life. Turning it back on would kill the machine again.

Digging deeper, it appeared that MYSQL was hogging all the machine resources. A service mysqld stop/restart would fail. The only way to stop it was to kill the process. MYSQL then started normally and Spamassassin could then be restarted. For the past few hours the machine has been running normally.

Interestingly, I had the same issue on a non-Blueonyx Centos 6 box yesterday that also had spamassassin and MYSQL installed. I suspect that a certain type of spam message must cause a problem with spamassassin and/or MYSQL. Ihave been unable to find the culprits, but will keep an eye out.

Regards,
Noel