[BlueOnyx:19766] Re: Enabling the rewrite module in Apache config

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Fri Jun 24 20:19:23 -05 2016

Hi Michael.

Nothing like a little friendly debate… and in this case I disagree with you… Your email below talked about “all bets of server integrity are off” if we allow end users to set allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include to on. I disagree with that statement.

Yes, allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include are bad. I agree 100% with you on that. It is a common vector for attack. However, there are apps that need those functions turned on to (for example) perform auto updates for patching.

The reason I classified open_base_dir as a showstopper  (if not using suphp etc) is because if it gets changed in .htaccess, it can let a malicious script get outside a restricted directory tree. And without suphp file permissions, you can have a seriously damaged box in a very short time. On the other hand, if you use suphp or similar, any change to openbasedir won’t help the bad guys since the file system is protected by a more sophisticated mechanism. Yes, bad guys can do damage to a single website, but not the overall server infrastructure.

I am still comfortable to turn on AllowOverride Options… As long as my server infrastructure is protected, I don’t mind letting end users do what they like in their own sandpit. And if it breaks for them, that is their problem (and I am happy to charge a fee to fix their site).

:)

GK