[BlueOnyx:19289] Re: BlueOnyx list and DMARC

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Mar 10 11:05:34 -05 2016

All,

On 3/10/2016 9:51 AM, Jim Matysek wrote:
> Yes, you've said that before in terms of any development on BlueOnyx.
> However, his question is just about the list settings for this
> particular mailing list. I've found that the Mailman installation on BX
> does support munging the From address to get around the stupid DMARC
> settings. All that is needed is to go to the Mailman interface via the
> GUI and select "Munge From" in the following setting on the General
> Options page:
>
> Replace the From: header address with the list's posting address to
> mitigate issues stemming from the original From: domain's DMARC or
> similar policies.
> (Details for*from_is_list*)
> <http://www.usms.org/mailman/admin/324-bod/?VARHELP=general/from_is_list>
>
> That doesn't require any development and seems like a reasonable request
> to simply alter that setting so that email sent from any of the evil
> email "suppliers" gets through to this list.

I'm inclined to agree with Jim on this.   We've had another customer
running a notable Mailman list for some time that has been running into
deliverability problems as other providers jump onboard with DMARC.

It's a PITA, to be sure, but since Mailman has options to work around
this, I agree the request is reasonable, in the interest of ensuring
communication with users even though we may not be fans of their
provider's choice.

> Verizon FIOS service is the best network service available around here -

Have it at the house, myself.  It's been about on par with the cable
company, and I don't think I have *ever* used the email they supply.
Having a friend who works in that department there has scared me away
from ever using it.  But the connectivity has been, overall, very decent.

> far fewer problems than we have with other companies used at work.

Should I be saying "ouch?"  :)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services