[BlueOnyx:19391] Re: Migrating users

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 25 00:15:32 -05 2016

Hi Tigerwolf,

> I've a BX box with several vitual domain sites:
>        Domain A  with users 1-10
>        Domain B  with users 11-18
>        Domain C  with users 19-30
>
> Domain B is being retired, and will ultimately be deleted.  But before
> doing that, I want to migrate domain B's users (and whatever they own)
> to become users under either Domain A, or C.
>
> Is there some simple way to accomplish this?

This is somewhat tricky. The way it works the users are associated to
the Vsite. They also physically reside under the path of the Vsite.
Besides that the CODB entry of each user as well as their entry in
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group hardwires them to the Vsite
under which they were created.

But it can be done this way: Do a cmuExport. Then edit the cmu.xml and
the XML files of the Vsites and/or Users to change the group of the
users from domain B to domain A or C. Then do a cmuImport. If the XML
edits are correct, it ought to work.