[BlueOnyx:19556] Re: Enforcing SPF

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Wed May 11 22:09:03 -05 2016

On Thu, 12 May 2016, Ernie wrote:

> Recently there seems to be a huge increase of self-spam that is emails which
> pretend to be from the intended recipients email address.

Despite what the GUI help pop up says about setting sendmail's
'delay_checks' option, I've found that turning it *OFF* kills off most of
the "FROM: == TO: " spams.  In fact, if you dig into the sendmail docs,
there's a place I saw where it admits that using "delay_checks" opens you
up to that very sort of spam attack.

Go to the main menu "Network Services", then "Email", then "Advanced".
Uncheck the "Enable delay_checks" tickbox.

We saw an *immediate* effect:  With "delay_checks" off, SpamHaus began
killing nearly *all* the offending spam sources.  If you're getting a
massive wave of those, you can turn "delay_checks" off and on and see the
effect in real time!  It was pretty astonishing.

Supposedly "delay_checks" helps when using a DNS-based block list like
SpamHaus, but any benefit it may give is nothing compared to the fact that
spam received went to nearly zero when it's off!

It would be interesting to know if you see the same thing.

--
=^_^=  Tigerwolf