[BlueOnyx:19612] Questions regarding Aventurine Backup/Restore

Dan Porter twinwolf.monitor at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:59:22 -05 2016

Is there a procedure for cloning a VPS, either locally or on another
Aventurine server?  I am fully aware that steps must be taken to avoid IP
conflicts but I suspect there is more to it.  My recent failed attempt
involved trying to restore a VPS backup from one container to another
locally by renaming the container directory and modifying the conf files
containing the IP addresses - then using the Aventurine restore function.

Next question.  My Aventurine backup procedure uses Rsync and I know that
Rsync does not keep the immutable flag bit.   That would mean that files
like php.ini would not retain this bit during a restore.   Is there a
procedure to accommodate this?

Last question is that during my failed restore attempt, using the
Aventurine restore feature, the entire backup files were deleted as part of
the restore process.   This was an unwelcome surprise.   I am wondering if
this is by design since I can not see the logic of deleting backup files
even after they have been restored.  Did I miss an option during the
restore that would have kept the VPS backup files after the restore was
completed?

Dan Porter
Twin Wolf Technology Group, LLC