[BlueOnyx:19615] Re: Questions regarding Aventurine Backup/Restore

Dirk Jessel blueonyxlist at bb-one.net
Wed May 25 07:13:09 -05 2016

Hi Dan,

i would prefer doing backups/migrations/clonings with rsync via the cli.
It´s quite simple and reliable.
We use some skripts, one like this working on a source-masternode:

# Backup of a container

/usr/bin/rsync -arvlh --progress --delete --links --hard-links --perms
--owner --group --devices --times \
--exclude=/VE-ID/backup \
/vz/private/VE-ID -e ssh target-masternode:/vz/private/
|tee `date +%d-%m-%Y`.VE-ID.log

# Backup of a containers conf-file
/usr/bin/rsync -arvlh --progress --delete --links --hard-links --perms
--owner --group --devices --times \
/etc/vz/conf/106.conf -e ssh target-masternode:/etc/vz/conf/

If the VPS is online with databases, we do the syncing of the filesystem
twice.
Of course we use key-based logins, so we can do the whole job with
skripts and cronjobs.
tee writes the output in a logfile, so there is a simple kind of
controlling. A second part of the skript sends this log to our support
or to the customer.

Possible problems are running MySQL-databases with large ibdata or logs,
io-bottlenecks with the disks or with switch or nics and so on.

Hope this  helps a little,
cheers
Uwe