[BlueOnyx:19626] Re: https redirects to wrong website

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 28 18:03:20 -05 2016

Hi Maurice,

> A new 5209R redirects https requests to the wrong website.
>
> Toggling the 'Web Alias Redirects' option for b.com has no effect.

Please do a "yum update" to get the latest perl-handler-utils installed.
And also restart Apache manually:

systemctl restart httpd

That ought to fix it permanently.

The problem was as this: Whenever the GUI changes the Apache config, we
need not only update the config files, but also need to restart or
reload Apache.

We consequently chose to issue a "reload" throughout all GUI handlers
that deal with this. Because a "reload" is less disruptive than a "restart".

However: If one Apache child is currently serving a request, a "reload"
with not go through. Instead Apache continues to run with the old config
until it is eventually restarted. So often you would (for example)
install an SSL certificate. This also requires a restart/reload, which
the GUI does. But then when you go to the URL in question to test the
certificate, you would get a warning like "certificate was issued for
another site" or would end up somewhere else.

That's because the "reload" did go through, but Apache failed to
actually reload the config, as one Apache child was still busy serving
requests. \o/

Earlier today I released an updated perl-handler-utils RPM for 5207R,
5208R and 5209R which permanently changes all Apache "reload" requests
of the GUI to "restart" instead. Which will work more reliably.