[BlueOnyx:19627] 5207R, 5208R, 5209R: AV-SPAM 6.2.0 released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 28 18:13:57 -05 2016

Hi all,

We've had a few support tickets in the last couple of weeks regarding
the AV-SPAM. The problem was mostly with services not starting in the
right order and impeding email delivery due to Milter socket errors and
therelike.

To address this issue we rolled up the AV-SPAM v6.2, which is now
available on NewLinQ.

There is now a central init script that can be run to restart all
AV-SPAM services in one go:

5207R/5208R:
=============

/sbin/service avspam stop|start|restart

Example:

/sbin/service avspam restart

5209R:
======

systemctl start|stop|restart avspam

Example:

systemctl restart avspam

Additional diagnostics are also provided:

5207R/5208R:
=============

/sbin/service avspam status
... or ...
/usr/sausalito/sbin/avspam_init.pl -status

5209R:
=====

/usr/sausalito/sbin/avspam_init.pl -status

The output of the diagnostic will show something like this:

]# /usr/sausalito/sbin/avspam_init.pl -status
| Service:       | GUI:  | AutoStart: | Running: |
| Sendmail       |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| Greylist       |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| GeoIP          |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| Spamassassin   |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| Spamass-Milter |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| ClamAV         |   1   |      1     |     1    |
| ClamAV-Milter  |   1   |      1     |     1    |
AV-SPAM Email service are running.

The column "GUI" shows if the respective AV-SPAM service is enabled in
the GUI. The colum "AutoStart" shows if the service is configured to
automatically start on server startup or reboots. The final column
"Running" shows if a service is currently running.

The last line of the output under the table shows a summary. Such as the
fact that all enabled services are running. Or if the AV-SPAM is in a
failed state.

An issued "restart" command to the service "avspam" will now kill off
all AV-SPAM related services and will restart the enabled services in
the right sequence. Before version 6.2 we tried to make do with shorter
startup times by only restarting services that needed a restart. But
this caused issues if the email system was currently processing a
message, which potentially cause it to enter a failed state.

Now with the mandatory restart of all related (enabled) services we
should get a better reliability.

Lastly: The Active Monitor components of the AV-SPAM have also been
overhauled to no longer restart services individually as needed, but to
restart everything that is enabled in the right order.