[BlueOnyx:21020] Re: Let's Encrypt Certificate #2 MISMATCH - it's normal

Felix Kaegi f.kaegi at fairtalk.com
Sat May 6 03:38:08 -05 2017

Hi Michael

Well spotted and explained.

In my case it is the SSL Server tests showing Certificate #2 MISMATCH that
distracted me from the real problem I faced, namely "Not Secure" links on
the SSL protected sites.

For example, a not secure link to the stylesheet, like <link
href="http://www.domain.tld/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
can create havoc with the site appearance. The link must explicitly point to
https and not just http. Same for images, it is necessary to link to https
explicitly.

Having fixed the not secure links, going now to that Vsite via HTTPS in the
browser no errors appear anymore (and clicking on the cert information it
shows that the SSL cert with the FQDN of the Vsite I'm visiting is being
used for this visit). However, an SSL Server test on
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ will still show a Certificate #2 MISMATCH,
which I now happily ignore. :)

Like you wrote: All in all, it's fine and working as intended.

Thanks.

Best regards
Felix