[BlueOnyx:21028] Re: G Suite IMAP migration

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 9 18:04:56 -05 2017

Hi Michael,

> Since this is a dedicated server is there a way to change something so
> that usernames will be full email address format until the migration is
> complete?

About a year ago I looked into the matter to see if we could offer
username and email-address authentication at the same time. Or make it
configurable if we could only provide one or the other. However: I
concluded that it would not be feasibly for us.

For Dovecot alone there exist some work arounds:

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/MasterUsers

https://serverfault.com/questions/260488/dovecot-user-lookup-fails-when-using-usernamedomain-format

https://serverfault.com/questions/646413/how-to-correct-dovecot-user-login-to-use-full-domain-email-in-this-format-myuse

The general problem with these being: If you auth with
username at domain.com the @domain.com part is being ignored and it ought
to work.

If you auth with email-alias at domain.com it will not work, as the
email-alias is not a valid system user.

To get full email-address auth working with Dovecot working you'd need
to not use "passwd" for auth, but either LDAP or SQL as authentication
mechanism.

For all other services that use auth and currently only accept the
username it would even be less feasible and more complicated. I can hack
the GUI to eventually accept email addresses for logins, but I don't
really see the point in this.