[BlueOnyx:21462] Re: DNS errors

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Oct 3 02:05:05 -05 2017

Hi Robert,

> I was receiving the 'too many hops' error related to a new domain setup
> and found it had not been added to Email in the vsite setup. After I
> added, started getting 'SYSERR(root): rewrite: excessive recursion
> (max 50), ruleset canonify'.

This is almost always a DNS issue such as when you use CNAME records or
if your DNS records and email server aliases don't match. Here is a
guide for doing these two things right:

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=dns-for-email

> Michael suggests this link to help but it is no longer found...
>
> http://www.solarspeed.net/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&CategoryID=3&ItemID=16

That must be from an ancient recommendation, as that link is for the
OTRS ticket system that I decommissioned 5-7 years ago.

> This is the errors I'm receiving, anyone dealt with this issue?
>
>> [root at webtent ~]# service named status
>> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status named.service

Ah, this is a 5209R. In that case the proper command to restart Bind is
this:

#> systemctl restart named-chroot

The one you tried is for the Bind w/o chroot, but that will not start as
the config files have the paths for the chroot jail in them. So use the
command shown above.