[BlueOnyx:21354] Re: Let's Encrypt for admserv

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 12 21:11:27 -05 2017

Hi Michael,

> I have been moving as many sites as possible to Let’s Encrypt> certificates and have gotten all of them to work except for the main>
admin server.>
> It throws an error “The installation path for the certificates could not
> be determined. “

Usually this works out of the box, for as long as the name of the server
itself has a DNS A record. So if the server name is "server.5209r.com"
then http://server.5209r.com should be reachable.

> I am not sure what to do next since the Admin server seems to be
> different from the main server. It is on port 81 and 444 instead of 80.

That's why the GUI mechanism that handles the online-verification for
the AdmServ LE certificate puts the .well-known directory under
/var/www/html/.well-known, where it can be reached on port 80 when LE
does the check if you really own the domain.

Hence http://server.5209r.com/.well-know/... should be reachable during
that stage of the cert request (and renewals). So for this the DNS "A
Record" must be there and you may not have any mod_rewrite rules that
interfere with access to /var/www/html/. Usually there is only an
index.html page in it which does a redirect to the GUI-ports.