[BlueOnyx:21417] Re: Can't SMPT or SSH

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 26 13:21:08 -05 2017

Hi Lewis,

> A 5209R server is on the same /29 subnet as most of the email users who
> are behind a router on another IP address. Users on that network can ping
> and connect to web services but SMTP and SSH connections time out. Outside
> that subnet everything seems to work OK.
>
> I have tried turning off DAR2, Login Manager, AV-SPAM and adding the
> sublent to the whitelist in Login Manager.
>
> I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

I would look at it this way:

Login via SSH to one of the boxes from which you cannot access the other
box. Then check what works:

HTTP connection:
lynx http://<IP-of-other-box>/

HTTPS connection:
lynx https://<IP-of-other-box>:443/

SMTP:
telnet <IP-of-other-box> 25

POP3:
telnet <IP-of-other-box> 110

SSH:
ssh -vvv <IP-of-other-box>

See what error messages or additional information you get. The "-vvv" in
SSH makes the output more verbose and might give some additional pointers.

For the other connections: See if you get "connection refused" or
timeouts, because these point to different underlying causes of the problem.

Another thing: If you're using NAT and the servers are in the same
subnet, then it could be that you have a NAT problem. Like that the
connection between DMZ servers goes as far as the router, but a
configurational directive prevents it from going further.