[BlueOnyx:21447] Re: Multilib version problems found

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Sep 29 15:35:19 -05 2017

Hi Maurice,

> On a 5209R I do have a problem running yum update.
>
> Here is a part of yum's output:
>
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package systemd-libs.i686 0:219-42.el7_4.1 will be installed
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:3.10.0-514.6.1.el7 will be erased
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error:  Multilib version problems found.
>
> Protected multilib versions: systemd-libs-219-42.el7_4.1.i686 !=
> systemd-libs-219-30.el7_3.9.x86_64
>

> And rpm --query systemd-libs shows:
>
> systemd-libs-219-30.el7_3.9.x86_64
> systemd-libs-219-42.el7_4.1.x86_64
>
> How does one solve this error?

RPMs of the same name get installed only once. If something with the
same name ends up twice in the RPM database with different version
numbers, then this causes these kind of problems.

My suggestion is to run this:

rpm -e --justdb systemd-libs-219-42.el7_4.1.x86_64
yum update

This removes the *newer* RPM from the RPM database without actually
uninstalling any files and without performing any script actions that
usually might trigger during a real uninstall.

That leaves the older version of this RPM in the RPM database and during
the following YUM update newer version of this RPM will be installed again.

You could directly use "rpm -e --justdb ..." to remove the older RPM
from the database to resolve the conflict. However: Then you can't
really be sure if the newer RPM really got installed properly and that
all the things it was suppoded to do during RPM install were done.

For that reason I suggest the above way as it produces more reliable
results.