[BlueOnyx:22539] Re: greylist gone ?

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Tue Dec 11 15:31:00 -05 2018

At 12:23 PM 12/11/2018, Colin Jack wrote:
>    It appears that host is not re-queuing emails within a reasonable time
>    if the delivery had been refused with a tempfail.
>
>We have had to stop using greylisting unfortunately because a lot of the big players (Microsoft, Google etc.) are using pools of servers and when mail retries it comes from a different server in the pool (and different IP as a result) each time and sometimes it can take several hours before mail finally gets accepted. It is a shame because greylisting does cut down a lot on the spam, but customers started complaining!

        Not sure if this is similar ... but offering it:

        Interestingly, this is also going in reverse with
        mailman. I've noticed it a lot in the past couple
        of months. When there are a few bad addresses,
        combined with huge delays at aspam.google.com
        (and a few similar places), mailman seems to get
        "hung up" and eventually has too many files sitting
        in mqueue (something over 140) which ends
        up sending two to five copies of the original
        posts to everyone.

        The only thing I notice, is that mailman has stopped
        sending any bounce notices, so bad addresses can be eliminated.

        No options on the mailman GUI have been
        touched during the time period.