[BlueOnyx:21767] Re: Web server options

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Feb 15 14:23:38 -05 2018

Hi Robert,

> I do have all checked in both sections as you noted except
> SymlinksIfOwnerMatches but still see the error in the web server error
> log. Even after we got the web server restarted due to my other ticket.
I just checked:

Your /home/.sites&132/site21/web/pub/static/.htaccess has this in it:

# To avoid situations when web server automatically adds extension ...
Options -MultiViews

So the .htaccess actually turns MultiViews *off*. And your
httpd/error_log complains: "Option MultiViews not allowed" for the same
path.

It makes little sense to turn on MultiViews in the GUI, only to have the
.htaccess trying to turn it back off again.

My recommendation: Turn it off in the GUI and comment that line out in
the .htaccess and be done with it.

P.S.: I looked at the .htaccess there and I'm really shaking my head at
the Magento developers. They throw in such a load of Apache core config
redefines that I'd like to claw out my eyeballs. I mean: Really? Why the
f*** do they want to redefine the cache expiry for images and Zipfiles?
Ain't the standards not good enough? Does it *really* improve
functionality and "user experience" or (gasp!) security? Not by a long
shot. It *forces* the server admin to run the whole bloody server with
lowered security settings for Apache.

Even funnier: .htaccess directives like that are totally dependent on
the webserver. So what if someone runs this on Nginx where all the
.htaccess-mockery is happily ignored? I'd guess Magento would even run
better there without them trick-shooting themselves in the foot at our
expenses.

P.P.S.: Sorry for the rant. I just hate it when developers or such large
projects behave so utterly ignorant and force us to dance to their
crappy tune for no good rhyme or reason.