[BlueOnyx:22247] Re: Error after update

Dirk Estenfeld dirk.estenfeld at blackpoint.de
Fri Jul 13 01:47:46 -05 2018

Hello Michael,

thank you for the advise.
The fix is working.

Best regards,
Dirk

---

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Blueonyx [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] Im Auftrag von Michael Stauber
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 23:24
An: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it
Betreff: [BlueOnyx:22246] Re: Error after update

Hi Dirk and Greg,

> Ultimately, you have two symlinks, and no socket. The socket would need to be recreated. Theoretically, it is created by the dbus daemon itself… so theoretically, deleting both of those files and restarting dbus should allow it to be recreated… but the question is, which one will it use for creation? And do we then need to manually sym link it.
>
> But puzzles me - is why is your server different?

Here is the deal:

/var/run *must* be a Symlink to /run.

That is how Systemd wants it to be, according to the great Satan Mr.
Poettering himself.

For that reason ...

/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
... and ...
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

... are essentially the same Socket. If they are not, then the Symlink
from /var/run to /run is missing.

So the advice from StackExchange was actually a bad one, but truth to be
told: This whole Symlink hell and the horribly shitty error messages
that Systemd throws aren't helpful either.

When I googled for the error messages that DBUS and Systemd were
throwing it was utterly clear that whoever wrote the Systemd error
messages is smoking crack, because nobody in his right mind could create
more arbitrary and less helpful error messages even if he tried.
Seriously? "g-io-error-quark" and a number? Really?!?

The whole problem popped up when the Symlink /var/run -> /run
spontaneously disappeared during a YUM update. It doesn't even disappear
for everyone. Just for some. No idea which RPM caused it, but it's not a
BlueOnyx RPM as far as I can tell.

Work-Around + Fix:

1.) Yum update
2.) Make sure /var/run is a symlink to /run
3.) Remove /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
4.) Remove /run/dbus/system_bus_socket
5.) Reboot.

Yes, it's that shitty because of crack smoking Systemd-developers.