[BlueOnyx:21828] Re: ssh keep alive

Meaulnes Legler @ MailList bluelist at waveweb.ch
Sun Mar 11 14:00:08 -05 2018

On 11.03.18 18:20, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Meaulnes,
>> lately, something changed in the ssh configuration on all my virtual servers, I now get kicked out with a broken pipe after a definitively too short time... instead of having to edit all ~/.ssh/config  on all servers and add the ServerAliveInterval  and ServerAliveCountMax  lines, is there an easier way to achieve this and return to the previous configuration?
> I'm not aware of any changes there. We haven't touched any of the SSH settings in a couple of years. So I assume both the ServerAliveInterval and ServerAliveCountMax are using default values as provided by the OS. We could of course make these configurable in the GUI and introduce different defaults. However: On my workstation I'm usually logged in by SSH on almost all my servers all the time and these connections stay alive on their own for days (sometimes weeks) until I either reboot the workstation or my ISP has yet another outage.
hmmm ... I'm jealous!:-)

then it must be my terminal client that changed the keep alive settings. Or by changing the ssh port from 22 to /<hidden>/? The drops happened afterwards, but I don't guess that port change is the culprit...

I'm using iTerm2 as a terminal on a Mac. When I used Windows, I had PuTTY. I reinstalled PuTTY on my Windows emulation on the Mac. PuTTY can be configured to prevent broken pipes. And I just found out that there is a Mac version of it! So I'll try this.

Thank you and best regards

Meaulnes Legler
~  www.WaveWeb.ch  ~
~ Zurich, Switzerland ~