[BlueOnyx:21888] Re: EU-DSGVO - anonymize ip addresses in apache logfiles / other logfiles?

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Fri Mar 23 12:24:24 -05 2018

Here in the US of A, it seems common for big ISPs, content providers and hosting companies to retain log data for a long time, 1 year or more. I suspect this is more for LEA requests and copyright holder threat letters than for advertising and data mining revenue. My view is the opposite, if I no longer have the data, I can't be forced to cough it up, so delete it as soon as I no longer need it for a legitimate operational purpose.

It sounds like deleting logfiles containing IP addresses after a reasonable period like maybe 1 month would satisfy the EU requirements?

I know that low level LEA requests can come in 6 or 12 months after the fact. But terrorist, hostage, kiddie porn, soliciting minors for sex, etc will happen within hours or days. And any network attack investigations I will have completed in a month.