[BlueOnyx:22483] Re: Backscatter problem

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Tue Nov 13 12:46:53 -05 2018

OK, I realize you are asking a technical question which I'm not answering.

But if you or the customer is in the U.S., and they are sending out bulk
emails without checking and processing removal requests and bounce messages,
you need to fire this customer.  I don't care how worthy a cause their
organization may be.  If this is outside the U.S., I don't know what the
legal issues may be, but probably similar.  And legal issues aside, you
shouldn't tolerate a customer sending out bulk mail without accepting the
responsibilities of a bulk mailer.  And you risk getting your mailserver IP
address blacklisted as a spam-friendly ISP.

You can still host their website, but if they can't honor their obligation
to maintain their mailing list, they need to get a bulk mailing service that
will do this automatically for them.  It ain't rocket science.  There are
many bulk email services that will automatically process removal requests as
well as removing addresses for repetitive bounces.  Even if you set up a
list for them using Mailman, I believe it has bounce processing.

Have you tried increasing their mailbox quota?  Or some kind of script that
deletes messages older than X days, we don't use BO as our mailserver, but
we run a script like I describe on all the Junk mailboxes to automatically
delete anything older than 14 days.