[BlueOnyx:00938] Re: Tar.gz installer on Amazon Cloud EC2 + eth0 settings

Julien Buratto julien.buratto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 02:29:27 -05 2009

Hi Michael,

I've sorted something similar just as:
- backup the old cfg-eth0 file
- in a cron, copy and restart network
- restart ssh
(some minor logging lines are there too to double check how the
network scripts get modified and infact nothing changes, just the ssh
service is stopped)

this gives me back control to the console during installation and
provides me ssh access (which is disabled at end of tar install).

I think that I will perform a manual "step by step" install process to
see where is the issue, something - as you mention - must go wrong
installing packages so services are not configured properly thus not
providing access to web interface.

Once I can get it work, I think that I will provide the AMI (virtual
machine) to the public via Amazon Cloud (at least Europe Amazon
Cloud).

Julien

2009/3/31 Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>:
> Hi Julien,
>
>> It was not there, so I've added it and re-installed. Same behaviour.
>> I've also "chkconfig --del kudzu" as it seems that on other distros
>> this issue was caused by kudzu
>
> Yeah, for that reason the install.sh turns off kudzu:
>
> # Turn unneeded services off
> echo
> echo "[Phase 5 : turn unneeded daemons off ...]"
> echo
> OFF_SERVICES="anacron portmap netfs lm_sensors gpm kudzu"
> for S in $OFF_SERVICES; do
>        if [ -f /etc/init.d/$S ];then
>                /sbin/chkconfig $S off
>        fi
> done
>
>> Any idea on how to do the "inactivity" part ? :) I would, at least,
>> set a cronjob to do it :-)
>
> You can fork off processes into the background by putting a & sign behind
> them. And the "sleep" command can be used to make something wait for a given
> amount of time. And you can put multiple commands into one line by separating
> them with ;
>
> So how about this:
>
> sleep 15m ; /etc/init.d/network restart &
>
> That will execute a network restart with a 15 minute delay. It's not really
> what you want, though, but close. You could put your commands to copy the
> network settings back and to restart the network into a script and call it in
> a similar way:
>
> sleep 15m ; /root/myscript.sh &
>
> Or you could even put the sleep command in as first command in the script and
> just call it this way:
>
> /root/myscript.sh &
>
> To abort a "sleeping" execution: Find the "sleep" command in the output of "ps
> axf", note the PID of it and kill it. But: If the script or command you're
> calling has a different PID than the sleep command itself, kill the command or
> the script first. :o)
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber