[BlueOnyx:00939] What to store on a separate disk

Julien Buratto julien.buratto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 02:38:11 -05 2009

Hi,

as I'm running BX on Amazon Cloud (where persistence of data is
guaranteed only if using external volumes/partitions), I have already
set my virtual machine to attach and mount a partition /home
externally so that, in case the virtual machine gets broken, I don't
loose all sites/mails and so on.

What I was wondering is:
- What other directory are important ?

As when you shutdown (terminate) a virtual machine in Amazon Cloud all
data stored in the virtual machine after that it has been created gets
lost, I was wondering what other dirs/folders are importart to be
saved.

For example:
- MySQL data are in /var/lib/mysql ? => then I need to have also this
externally, otherwise when the machine is stopped, all MySQL data are
lost
- Configuration of aliases and mails ? => /etc sendmail configuration,
aliases and crons must be saved otherwise when re-installed the
machine there is risk of having them lost
- domains/users profiles => even if I save a /home and /etc, I need to
save all data of configurations..

So, in general: what are the folders that, a part from /home, gets
normally used by BlueOnyx during "standard use" to store
configurations, user data, databases, passwords, profiles, and such ?

Thanks
Julien

PS: "Standard use" is to be considered where users have only standard
access to ftp, web, mail, mailing lists, databases so without having
people messing around their stuff in strange folders :-) or having the
admins installing their own softwares a part from those required by
the BlueOnyx

--
Julien Buratto