[BlueOnyx:00987] Re: Anyone have issues with godaddy SSL certs?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Apr 4 01:08:01 -05 2009

Hi Greg,

> Is there anything else on your box not working? Can you login with a
> non/ssl connection? The reason I ask is that I had something similar
> happen on a development server yesterday when I made a stupid mistake
> with a script I was building and it did a chmod 700 on the server root
> directory. I had exactly the same symptoms, and a few other things were
> broken too.... (shock horror).

No, everything was working 100% fine. It was just a few (but not all) SSL
sites that were having those issues. The problem affected multiple VPS's which
all had been upgraded from CentOS-5.2 to 5.3. We also removed a looping SSL
certificate from one of the sites and replaced it with a self signed one. Even
then it continued to loop, although a self signed cert was working on another
site on the same VPS without looping.

After two hours of troubleshooting we did "the timewarp" and restored a full
VPS backup (OS  and data) from prior to the CentOS-5.3 YUM update.

So at the moment I can't even troubleshoot this any further, as I don't have
access to a server with that problem anymore.

I do have the lingering suspicion that the source of the problem is somewhere
around /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf. Because it does some weird redirects
using mod_rewrite whenever SSL comes out to play. When I tried to access an
SSL page with the command line browser "lynx", It usually crapped out
complaing that it couldn't find a valid index with text/plain or text/html.
Like if it redirects to HTTPS, but then looses the directory index. But that's
not much to go by, as this code has worked identically ever since the RaQ4's
and never gave any grief so far.