[BlueOnyx:01053] Re: Clam AV

Paul pcr1066 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:43:24 -05 2009

> Hi Phil,

> > Have a good read around the web but I did the following (according to

> > my notes so it may not all be correct).

> > First, I am no Linux Guru and probably never will be. I have used

> > linux for about 2 years but still learning myself.

Thank you Phil you have been very helpful!

> That's a nice guide. However, a few things come to mind here that should
be taken into consideration:

> Every 2-3 months there is a new version of Clam AV and SpamAssassin.

So if they are now linked through MailScanner, does it mean you cannot Yum
Update?

> If you install from the sources, you have to repeat the respective steps
whenever Clam AV or SpamAssassin update, or you get left behind and suffer
from only partial

> protection.

> A proper install of SpamAssassin requires many PERL modules which are
either not available on YUM, or available only in outdated versions. Not
having some of those Perl

> modules will build a less capable SpamAssassin.

How do you know if you have the correct Perl modules?

Of all the articles and forums I searched, I never came across anything
mentioning this caveat.

> Using SpamAssassin's file based AWL and Bayes (opposed to MySQL based AWL
and

> Bayes) creates a tremendeous I/O traffic. Not using AWL or Bayes reduces
SpamAssassin's effectiveness by around 30%. Not using DCC, Razor and Pyzor
(which all need to be

> installed separately as well) chops off another 30% effectiveness.

Would it be ok to install DCC, Razor and Pyzor after I have installed
MailScanner?

> MailScanner: Well, I don't know where to start on that. It's a bloody
mess.

> Always has been and always will be. It's such a dirty and whackish and
performance impairing hack that I'd rather tear my eyes out with a rusty
spoon than to have it on

> any box. :p

Hazel O'Connor wrote a song called "If Only!" which comes to mind.

I spent all day yesterday installing ClamAV, Spamassassin, and then
MailScanner. God did it take some time and consideration! Days spent
researching over the net only to give myself a headache and every bit of
information different. I Had looked at MailScanner because it was mentioned
so much in the forums. Oh well at least I can say I have learnt something
this weekend.

> Both Clam AV and SpamAssassin should be tied to Sendmail using Milters for
best performance. That'll also allow you to reject (not bounce!) emails at
the MTA level

> whenever SpamAssassin or Clam AV say that the email is bad. Can't do that
with MailScanner, which can only bounce (bad idea!) or discard after the
email has already been

> accepted.

"If only" I had waited and seen this reply! I am now wondering if I should
just reformat and start again!

> But then again, I realize that having "some" protection against virii and
SPAM is better than having none at all.

True, so true! But a shame on society that we need it.

So now I will go away into the corner and sulk!

Please reply to;

pcr1066 at gmail.com