[BlueOnyx:01086] PHP method for changing folder / file owner?

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Fri Apr 17 04:29:58 -05 2009

Hi guys,

I have a real hosting pain on my hands with BX with someone that is
insisting on uploading files via wordpress via FTP using the admin
user account, but not being able to write to them via wordpress. Due
to the particular setup we run, we are not able to change folder
ownership / perms via FTP.

The only current solution is that I need to manually (each time) log
in and change the ownership to apache, and that generally sorts it.

I know there was talk of some sort of tickbox / permissions fixer -
but in the meantime can anyone think of another way I can get around
this?

I have thought of perhaps they could upload a PHP file and put a CHOWN
change request in that. The file would only be uploaded when they
wanted to change perms, and I understand I would have to disable safe
mode. But I'm rubbish as PHP so I was thinking perhaps someone knew
how to do this?

Are there any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Jeff