[BlueOnyx:01105] Problem with PHP not using GD

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Apr 22 15:51:54 -05 2009

Hello everyone,

I've run into a PHP problem with a new BX server.  And I'm not sure how to approach a fix.

>From my research, the problem is that PHP isn't compiled to use GD graphics library.   When my customer's script calls GD functions - I get these errors in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Thu Apr 16 20:41:26 2009] [error] [client xxx] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function imagecolorallocate() in /home/.sites/143/site2/web/securimage/securimage.php on line 479, referer: http://www.xxx.com/request_quote.php
[Thu Apr 16 20:28:46 2009] [error] [client xxx] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function imagecreatetruecolor() in /home/.sites/143/site2/web/securimage/securimage.php on line 478, referer: http://www.xxx.com/request_quote.php

I've looked up these errors on the web - and everything points to PHP not compiled to use the GD functions.  The system does have gd-2.0.33-9.4.el5_1.1 and php-gd-5.1.6-23.2.el5_3 installed.  But when I do a "ldd /usr/bin/php" - the GD library isn't in the list of libraries PHP has available.  This seems to indicate that PHP isn't compiled with GD support.

I've considered attempting to recompile PHP myself.  But I'm not very strong at compiling packages and I'm concerned about breaking something else.  Plus, if I do it myself and then PHP is upgraded as part of the BX system - it will overwrite my recompiled PHP.

Would it be a better idea to get the PHP recompiled as part of the BX group of packages?  Or is this something that should be identified to the CentOS folks for corrective action at their level???

Thanks for any advise.

Chuck