[BlueOnyx:01148] Re: BlueOnyx UK distribution (suggestion)

Kevin Grant kevinpgrant at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 29 00:47:25 -05 2009

Hello,

Firstly thanks! Secondly, this is in response to Richard Morgan's very valid point =)

My blog is indeed hosted in the US, as your traceroute shows. I did state that I wished to put a torrent link on there, these .torrents themselves are very small (I'll take a wild guess at 64Kb?!) - you are therefore correct that the '.torrent' definition file itself would come from the US.

However, I am actually located in the UK, and would 'seed' the .torrent (the 4GB or so of data) from my server(s) here, as torrent downloads are 'decentralised'.

I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer!!

Now wouldn't make sense to .torrent everything, as one minor change would essentially invalidate the globally shared torrent, thus it is not wise to .torrent the svn repo, nor .torrent the whole distribution.

The best approach would be to .torrent each of the specific ISO revisions - which are static milestones in the development cycle. Keener users will still be free of course to use svn for incremental updates, and everyone should benefit all round from d/l time, from users grabbing ISOs (via bittorrent) and developers getting the latest release (straight from the unburdened central server) alike.

Now everyone in the UK can become a mirror, whether they have leased a circuit or use ADSL =) -  but someone still has to create and distribute (preferably from a well connected host) the official .torrent!

This should explain how I envisage things working!

=D

Kevin Grant | Web Developer
kevinpgrant at yahoo.co.uk