[BlueOnyx:01166] Re: memory not pressent

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Apr 30 12:14:25 -05 2009

Hi Steffan,

> I have a new server
> Installed BO on it version 2009-04
> yum updated
>
> The server has 2 x 4 G memory
> But after install the memory is gone
> I know that there was a problem with big memory in BQ but these fixes dont
> work on BO
>
> [root at server3 boot]# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      2258664 kB

No, that indeed doesn't add up.

Which kernel version does "uname -r" report?

But even if you're running "the wrong" kernel (i.e.: one that only supports 4
Gig of RAM), then this still wouldn't add up, because your box shows only 2
Gig of memory at the moment.

Even if one of the two sticks of 4 GB RAM wasn't seated propperly and/or you
were running "the wrong kernel", then "cat /proc/meminfo" should report more
than what it currently shows.

In your case I'd have the box opened, the memory pulled and verified that it
indeed contains 2 sticks of 4GB as advertised. Because it most likely doesn't.