[BlueOnyx:01985] Re: YUM updates: base-console, PAM, CCE, ProFTPd, base-network (+new features)

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Mon Aug 10 08:22:10 -05 2009

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tired about those brute force login attempts against your server(s)?
>
> Well, this time we did something against it and extended BlueOnyx with a
> default mechanism which detects and blocks those attempts.
>
> Don't worry, it will not conflict with any existing install of APF+BFD, Dfix,
> DenyHosts or similar custom tool that you have aboard, as it uses entirely
> different methods. Firewalling offending IPs off is still the best approach,
> but our implementation is quicker upon detecting brute force login attempts
> and has less overhead.

Once the new updates have been applied to servers, the good news is that
DFix has already been updated to read the new log files. The new pam_abl
log entries are now understood by DFix, so an attacker will first be
blocked by the pam_abl module. If they persist, a firewall rule will be
added within 1 minute to stop their attacks (and indeed all of their
traffic) at the firewall level.

The update is available via NewLinQ.

Enjoy!

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |