[BlueOnyx:02111] Re: disk usage stopped calculating

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Aug 14 07:19:57 -05 2009

Michael Stauber wrote:
> The file /usr/sausalito/ui/style/trueBlue.xml.compiled.* should be
> owned by
> UID "apache" and GID "apache". The regular XML files are owned by root:root.
>
> Please check the UID and GID and let me know who owns them now.

The ownership was correct.

> The compiled styles are generated dynamically by the GUI. You can safely
> delete the compiled styles, as they will be re-created whenever they're needed
> and they then should be re-created automatically with UID "apache" and GID
> "apache".

Wow - even though the ownership was right, I deleted the .compiled.
files and that resolved the issue.   I would not have guessed that on my
own in a hundred years.
> There is something else to check. If the styles are not automatically re-
> created with UID "apache" and GID "apache", but something else, then this
> could mean that the GUI's CCEwrap is shot.
>
> ls -la /usr/sausalito/bin/ccewrap
> -rwsr-x--- 1 root apache 62028 Aug  7 10:14 /usr/sausalito/bin/ccewrap
>
> Check if yours has the above permissions and ownerships. Note that the GID
> must be "apache" and this binary must have 4750 permissions. CCEwrap is (sort
> of) the the "helper" that allows the web interface (which runs as unprivileged
> user "apache") to perform transactions as "root" on the system. Its built in
> security mechanisms make it safe to be setuid-root, so that it's able to do
> what it's supposed to do.

This one was -rwxr-x--- when I got to it.   Changed it to -rwsr-x--- as
suggested.

Disk usage also seems to be working fine now.   I think that the
customer is really going to appreciate this.  Thanks for the help and
suggestions!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services