[BlueOnyx:02148] Re: ClamAV Spamassassin Milters

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Thu Aug 20 00:34:15 -05 2009

Hi Phil.

Phil Hamer wrote:
> I want to use the Milters!
>
> Its mailscanner I want to avoid.

There are lots of spam strategies that people use to manage spam. The
strategy that I personally like is to run milters at the "front door" to
get rid of the easy stuff first. On my own mailservers, 80-90% of spam
is blocked by a spamassassin milter.

Blocking stuff that is "definitely" spam is easy to do at this level,
but, the real problem is how to manage the mail that gets through the
first layer? What do you do with mail that is "possibly spam"?

Let me give you an example. An end user calls you asking about mail that
they did not receive. What do you do? With mailscanner/mailwatch as an
inner layer, you can direct your user to have a look in the mailwatch
database. This provides a self-service portal that shows mail that has
been quarantined. If they find their mail in there, they can "release"
the mail from the quarantine.

Some people dont like mailscanner due to the CPU overhead it imposes. I
agree with this statement, but I still use it. Since most spam is
blocked at the front door, (before mailscanner), there is no extra CPU
overhead for most spam that is deleted by the milter.  Yes, there is
some overhead associated with this inner layer, but the results from the
additional policy based filtering and the self-service user interface
make it worthwhile in my opinion.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |