[BlueOnyx:02155] Re: ClamAV Spamassassin Milters

Phil Hamer phil at magma-group.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 16:28:07 -05 2009

Hi guys and many thanks for the ideas.

I ran mailscanner, spamassassin (pyzor, dcc and razor) and clamav on our BQ
server and tested it fine on our BO test box while I got to grips with
things.

We only handle about 500 mails a day on our server and I estimate our spam
content to be in the 90 to 95% range.

Our server only really handles our office email and web sites, with a few
sites I host for some friends.

On our BQ server mailscanner controlled the mail flow through spamassassin
and clamav.

This is how I see my options at the moment if I understand what you are
recommending to me.

So it would appear its better to flow the mail directly into spamassassin
first with a milter, then send it to mailscanner for virus scanning and
ultimate handling.

I take a guess here that using spamassassin miltere'd first from sendmail
rather than through mailscanner brings the server overhead down as
mailscanner is quite processor dependent.

I must admit I don't have a clue as to where to start with configuring my BO
server to flow the mail this way yet so will get down to a little research
at the weekend.

On our BQ server I installed mailscanner from source, clamav from source and
spamassassin with YUM.

My main concern was the brute force mailscanner used when loading. At some
point in time YUM UPDATE always had problems with Perl updates (always
caused by mailscanner).

I am led to believe that the new version of mailscanner does not brute force
things quite so bad and these issues are pretty much now fixed.

How do you upgrade mailscanner when a new version is released? Do you just
re-build from source to overwrite things on the server? Would the same apply
for ClamAV, download new source and make it again?

Spamassassin came from YUM and updated as required. The YUM repo I guess
would always be a little behind whilst they get things changed over and
ready for distribution as a package.

Once again thanks for the ideas people.

Phil.