[BlueOnyx:02234] Re: Dovecot issues?

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Thu Aug 27 17:02:37 -05 2009

Sure,

Its probably just typical hacker activity.

If you look at a list of processes, you'll see dozens or even hundreds of "dovecot-auth" and "pop3-login" in the list.  Its someone running a password guessing program against your server trying to find weak passwords so they can exploit an account.  After a while, their script has eaten up all the memory for dovecot and you get this type of "denial-of-service" problem.

I'm sure the guys who have set up dfix and have it helping with that problem can give you a hand.  I haven't done that myself, so I can't say how.

Chuck