[BlueOnyx:02256] Re: Dovecot issues?

Gregg greggk1 at cox.net
Sun Aug 30 02:36:36 -05 2009

From: Gregg

Recently I have noticed in the mail lot a lot of weird errors.

dovecot: pop3-login: Can't connect to auth server at default: Too many open
files
dovecot: imap-login: socket(default) failed: Too many open files

I do not have that many users on this particular server, and it's not that
busy.  I have to manually restart dovecot, and all is back to normal.
Has someone else experienced this? What could be causing it? Any suggestions

is appreciated.

Gregg
<<

Gregg

How many dovecot processes are running before you restart?

On my servers I just have it check with a cron if there are more than 60-70
and if there are then it will
/etc/rc.d/init.d/dovecot restart

I don't have that many dovecot processes running.  I decided to move those
few sites I have onto a brand new BO server, fully updated. I've been
running it without any sites for a few days now, and it was running great.
I put the sites on there, and everything runs well.  I myself pop that
server for 3 users at a time. While I'm connected through SSH I'm watching
the log files.  I POP, and that's when I notice a problem. SSH fails with a
network problem.  I thought the network problem was due to it being on a
VMware machine, I had posted about it a few weeks back, but I found the
culprit.  When dovecot is being used a lot, and by a lot I mean like 3 pops
at once, it's killing my SSH session too.  Anyone else with this problem? Is
there a dovecot configuration that may be wrong that I could play with?