[BlueOnyx:00442] RAID Card not Detected / Kernel Modules Missing / Installation Issues

Chris Fazekas cfazekas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 10:31:01 -05 2009

Here are a few of my failed installation notes.

Hardware: SuperMicro Dual Xeon, 4GB Ram, 3 x 36GB 10K U160 SATA drives,
Adaptec 2005S RAID controller.

1.  Configured RAID5 set through Adaptec manager (CTRL-A on boot).  Let RAID
set build to 100%.
2.  Rebooted, attempting automatic installation.  Froze up. (seemed to want
a USB mouse?  changed from PS2 to USB mouse).
3.  Rebooted, attempted 'linux noprobe".  Failed, Hard Drives not detected.
4.  Searched Adaptec 2005s RAID driver / CentOS compatibility.  Found
references to i2o_block module not loaded on installation.
5.  Booted with "linux noprobe", ALT-F2, cd /mnt/source/CentOS/
6.  mkdir /tmp/kernel
7.  cp kernel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.i686.rpm /tmp/kernel/
8.  cd /tmp/kernel
9.  extract rpm,   rpm2cpio kernel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.i686.rpm | cpio -id
10. cd lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.22.el5/kernel/drivers/message/i2o/
11. attempt to load modprobe i2o_core.ko and i2o_block.ko
12. (ALT-F3) error "ksign, the modules are signed by an unknown authority"??
13. I'm stumped.

I'm stuck here, anyone know what the best way to go about loading these
modules are during installation? (Hopefully beyond making my own kernel /
installation CD).   I did try to install with software RAID, but even after
removing this RAID card it does not detect the drives.

I then put in an Ubuntu 8.04LTS CD and it detects this card without issue.
I dont have a full CentOS5 CD handy to try it.. but reading online it
appears CentOS/RedHat have had piss-poor support for the i2o (Adaptec 2xxxS)
series cards in the past.  I was going to migrate away from Plesk to
BlueOnyx.. but perhaps new hardware is needed??

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris