[BlueOnyx:00501] Re: Slow FTP login

Jim Scott jscott at infoconex.com
Wed Feb 11 13:24:54 -05 2009

> # Do not perform ident nor DNS lookups (hangs when the port is filtered)
> TimesGMT                        off
> IdentLookups                    off
> UseReverseDNS                   off
>
> # begin global -- do not delete
> MaxClients 100000
> IdentLookups off
> # end global -- do not delete
>
> Still very slow to login with FTP :-/
>
> I reckon I have my DNS setup fine - same as all my BQ boxes which don't
> have this issue.
>
> Colin

Do you have more than one IP address on the box?
Are you behind a firewall and using NAT?
Can you email me off list your entire config file?

I have a test box here that I will play around a bit with and see if I can
get the right configuration. For instance I noticed just now that in my
config file the IdentLookup and UseReverseDNS is declared twice in my config
file. Once at the top of the file and then later after </Global> . Maybe the
location in which it is declared is important. Can you try moving the
setting below the </gloabl> tag and see if it makes a difference. Also after
you make the change you probably need to restart xinetd process? service
xinetd restart

 </Global>

# begin global -- do not delete
MaxClients 100000
IdentLookups off
UseReverseDNS off
# end global -- do not delete

I will also play around with the position of the settings and see if it
makes a difference and cleanup my files since they seem to have this
declared all over the place. In fact I just noticed now that IdentLookup is
also delcared inside the <Global> tag as well.

<Global>
   # Report localtime, not GMT
   TimesGMT                     off
   ServerIdent                  on "10tohost C2 FTP Server"
   IdentLookups off
   AllowRetrieveRestart on
   AllowStoreRestart on

So who knows which one is right and working properly. But I had this same
problem and remember doing one of the above and it fixing it.

Jim