[BlueOnyx:00527] Re: Boot BX installer from USB memory key?

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Mon Feb 16 19:04:03 -05 2009

David Thacker wrote; Friday, February 13, 2009 5:07 PM

> I've got an MSI P1-104A2M server that I bought from Raqware about 15
> months ago, currently has BQ installed.  I haven't gotten around to
> rotating it into production use yet, and have decided to try BX on it.
>
> This server does not have a CD-ROM drive, and I do not have a USB CD
> drive.  I do, however, have several multigig USB memory keys.
>  According
> the the MSI website, the server BIOS does support Boot from
> USB Device 1.1
> and 2.0.
>
> So, I created a bootable USB memory key from the BX install CD ISO
> (following the instuctions at
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-centos-5-live-install-via-win
> dows/#more-412)

> I can now boot the server from that USB key, but when I start the
BlueOnyx
> installer, it's reporting that it cannot locate the
> cdrom:/ks/kickstart.cfg file.  I understand why, because there is no
cdrom
> device, but I am wondering how to proceed from this point to perform
the
> install.

> It seems this USB key is mounted as /dev/sdc1, and the 2 hard drives
are
> sda1 and sdb1.

> Can I convince the BX installer to install from the mounted USB key
> somehow, or am I just spinning my wheels here?

I used the
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-centos-5-live-install-via-win
and have the same problem.
I have tried 9,999 different things and all end up with,
"cant find/downloadthe kickstart file...
very frustrating.
I do note that the system loads the usb driver twice.

I did use the utility at the above URL and load F10-i686-Live, and it
worked fine.

still looking at the issue!
Gerald