[BlueOnyx:00668] blue onyx Infrastructure

don caprio caprio at uxpro.com
Wed Feb 25 23:53:23 -05 2009

I'm considering switching over to BlueQuartz and have some basic newbie
questions.

I'm going to be moving to a new co-lo. ISP has assigned me a subnet'd class
C network. I have
5 available static IP's. I'm going to be using a Netscreen for my firewall
which leaves me 4 IP's.

Are there folks out there that are running ALL of your internet services on
a single server (DNS,sendmail,
ftp, http, https,mysql)? I still plan on using my dedicated mail gateway for
spam and virus protection (mailcleaner).
My domain has been around for over ten years and I'm always batteling
sendmail  and spam attacks. I had an open
relay hole once upon a time and may have gotten on a spammers list of
servers to try and hack.
I'll be hosting a couple dozen domains. Most small and not much traffic. One
site is JSP based and is my largest
customer.

My current co-lo config has 5 Linux servers, one host running ESX with my
sendmail infrastructure spread
across a few virtual hosts. The goal is to reduce the power, rack space and
server count.

I'd be interested in any comments you guys have on best practices for
BlueOynx infrastructure design. I'm
considering using a SunFire quad core with 8GB RAM as my BlueOynx server.

Thanks for your input.

--
Don Caprio caprio at uxpro.com
http://www.uxpro.com