[BlueOnyx:00112] Re: Ftp

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 12 12:51:22 -05 2009

Hi Tony,

> the built in soft raid will not do raid zero on two drives.   The
> bluequartz did, but this does not.

That's correct. BlueOnyx supports ...

- No raid (one disk found)
- RAID1 (two drives found)
- RAID 0+1 (if four drives are present)

RAID0 over two or more disks is not supported as we think that this is a bad
idea on a general purpose server. Because if one drives goes bad, all your
data is toast.

> I have never had any luck with raid 1 or mirror and nothing beats a good
> backup.

True, Backups are a must have and I wouldn't trust a RAID1 alone. However,
having a RAID mirror can save you doing a reinstall. Just swap out the drive,
reboot and off you go. Compared to a reinstall you save a lot of time and
effort.