[BlueOnyx:00151] Re: SLOW FTP -- a partial solution

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jan 13 14:28:10 -05 2009

Hi Rodrigo,

> I was able to reduce the login Speed by changing this file
> /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd
>
> Found a post about xinetd and slow logins But not sure about the security
> implicactions
> (http://www.wains.be/index.php/2006/01/24/slow-logins-under-proftpd-using-x
>i netd/)
>
> My log Before:
>
> Jan 13 12:18:15 maria xinetd[2909]: START: ftp pid=25451 from=x.x.x.x
> Jan 13 12:18:55 maria proftpd[25451]: 192.168.254.121 (x.x.x.x[x.x.x.x]) -
> FTP session opened. <-- Login took 40 seconds
>
> Changed this file /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd
> (just changed one line)
>
> from
>
> log_on_success          += DURATION USERID

> log_on_success          += DURATION
>
> and now Logins on 10 seconds, (some improvement ....  at least )

Aaaah, yes. Now that's a nice finding. In the past I stumbled across a few
how-to's from Sébastien Wains and they've always been very useful.

Security wise the implications here are very minimal, so nothing speaks
against it.

Having the server behind a firewall or having the server on private IPs in a
NAT'ed network are pretty common. Therefore I just added this fix to
BlueOnyx:

http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/changeset/180/

The updated RPMs should hit the YUM repositories during the next couple of
hours. Whenever CCEd is restarted (or during server reboot) the constructor
syncFTP.pl will fix /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd accordingly.