[BlueOnyx:00170] Re: Various issues wirh BlueOnyx

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Tue Jan 13 21:07:24 -05 2009

On Tue January 13 2009 18:38, Doug Harvey wrote:
> If I can chime in for just a sec. On a non-technical aspect. I ran BQ for a
> year in a production/hosting company environment, using Brian's PKG's for
> spam, av, etc, I never had customers complain about spam, etc. I did add a
> bunch of entries into the firewall from the heavy attackers and spammers
> and without using a hardware firewall, never had a problem with that set
> up.
>
> So, from what I know about sendmail, (non programming knowledge) it seemed
> to function just fine.
>
> On the other hand, this is a new/revamped os and I keep an open mind and
> much appreciation for those that wrestle with the code.
>
> Doug

Actually, I can agree with both (all) of you.  I run almost a "room" full of
cobalts and BQ boxes and an ISP production mail system.  While I am
"comfortable" with both sendmail and postfix, I find that for "serious"
spam filtering with relative ease of use, postfix wins hands down.  Things
like recipient_checks for accounts that you never want to receive mail (eg
bin, auth, mysql, etc) to helo_checks for bogus helo names, and on and
on; the ease of putting together relatively simple but highly effective
filtering in postfix is tremendously easier than sendmail (edit the
appropriate file, postmap if a "db" file, type postfix reload), no need to
stop and restart the system all the time to get things "working"...

 From my perspective the "core" parts of the sytem are similar enough
to be pretty easy to integrate:  postfix already uses the "aliases" file;
it already uses the "access" file; it already uses the virtusertable, etc.
I am certain there has to be something I am not seeing, but it does not
look that difficult to do from my limited view - and I really, really like
postfix over and above sendmail.... (did I say that already??)..

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net