[BlueOnyx:00233] Re: 4gb on Blueonyx

Rodrigo Ordonez Licona rodrigo at xnet.com.mx
Thu Jan 15 10:02:16 -05 2009

I tried using the zen Kernel, and now it reports more ram,

The server has 1 megabyte shared vga memory so I am still missing 174
Megabytes but I am happy now.

Mem:   4014320k total,   995260k used,  3019060k free,   212320k buffers
Swap:  4194296k total,        0k used,  4194296k free,   261032k cached

The server has been running for 24 hrs but we havent made any stress tests.

This seems to be a centos issue so maybe this is not the best place to ask
for help.

However after googling a bit I noticed that this seems to be a centos 5
problem,

There is a PAE Kernel and a Zen Kernel ,

PAE kernel should be used on server with more than 4 gb of Ram,

Zen Kernel applies various patches that increase speed, stability, and
hardware support
(this is a transcript from http://www.tweako.com  not my own words )

To install the zen Kernel
yum install kernel-xen.i686

And then make the grub / lilo conf change so it boots , you might just try
it if you select the kernel at boot time with your keyboard (up-down arrows)
if you have physical access to the server.

####
[root at maria init.d]# uname -a
Linux maria.xnet.com.mx 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 13:08:49 EST
2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
####

I saw strange messages at bootup ....  will run some apache, php and mysql
stress tests and see if the kernel actually works.
...For now cced, admserv and apache and sendmail keep running ok.

All suggestions are welcome and again sorry if this is not the good place to

Just thought a few on the list could find the info interesting.

Rodrigo O
Xnet